I have been avidly knitting for about a year now…and I love it! It is so fun discovering new patterns, deciphering them and picking the yarn to use and making something useable or fun.
My latest projects have been knitted “Monsters” and my first foray into garments. A very dear friend is having a baby and I wanted to make them a special handmade gift. Her husband and her have become such dear friends ever since my car accident in 2008. From being a “support group” during our weight loss, our personal trainers, our emergency massage therapist, bringing freelance work my way and promoting my business to their clients; they just have been tremendously incredible. So I really wanted to make something very special and unique.
First, I made them one of the “Monsters” out of my new favorite knitting book by Rebecca Danger, “The Big Book of Knitted Monsters”. The monster is Lurleen the Laundry Monster. But, the hands reminded me of the thai herb balls that my friend uses in her massage business. So I renamed the monster “Maxine the Massage Monster” in honor of her business (I chose the name Maxine to be the female version of one of their dogs, “Max” who is their mascot for their fitness center.)
But I wanted something more. So I found a cute “wee leaf baby set” that consisted of a hat and matching socks. But, again, the gift didn’t feel complete yet…
I happened to stumble upon a basic Baby sweater vest pattern that had the same width of ribbing and the same stockinette stitch. So I used the left over yarn that I had from the monster, hat and socks and created a matching set and included the leaf applique so that it would still coordinate.
The colors for their baby were “sea colors” of blues and greens. I went to my trusty local yarn shop and found perfect colors for these projects (which is no surprise, I always find exactly what I need at the Double Ewe Yarn Shop. I spend so much money there, that we joke that I am purchasing “shares” in her business.)
I was a little nervous making the vest, but it turned out very well for my first garment. To top it off, I even was making adjustments to the pattern as I went (somethings just didn’t make some sense to me, so I changed them to things I knew). It turned out well. I even did my first real “blocking” process to make sure the stitches relaxed and held there shape during washing. (Blocking is where you thoroughly wet the peice and then lay it out and pin it to a specific shape and let it dry thoroughly.)
For more information for these projects, you can check out my Ravelry project page!
Next on my plate:
- Finish my Loxley scarf
- Finish three “Craft-it-forward” gifts
- Make Amy’s socks
- Make my cardigan/jacket